Mexican Bean Salad
With a little preparation our Mexican bean salad is a versatile vegan recipe that will carry you from fajitas to salads and mid week wraps from the fridge. The ingredients are simple.
That's it for the salad. Into your bowl add:
- A finely diced medium onion.
- A can of sweetcorn.
- Three large beef tomatoes, seeds removed and diced.
- Two peppers with seeds removed and diced.
- One carton of kidney beans.
Give it a stir.
For the dressing whisk together.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar.
- Grated zest and juice of one lime.
- Teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Pinch of salt, pepper and smoked chilli flakes (optional)
Stir into the bean salad and serve. The salad will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 days. I had this with tofu fajitas on day one. In a wrap with coriander and avocado for lunch on day two.
- Pile onto nachos and guacamole.
- Use as a vegan fajita topping with tofu, peppers and onions.
- Wrap in a wholemeal tortilla for lunch with creamy avocado.
- Use as a salad topper.
- Team with a hot baked potato.
- Eat straight from the tub its all good!
Kidney beans are one of the healthiest types of beans to use as a protein source, with slightly less fat and saturated fat than other varieties of bean but with comparable amounts of fiber and protein.
They are also a good source of:
- Folate. Also known as folic acid or vitamin B9.
- Copper. This antioxidant trace element is often low in the Western diet.
- Manganese. Found in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
- Potassium. May benefit heart health.
- Vitamin K1. Important for blood coagulation