Squash, ricotta & spinach bake
Twice baked squash and creamy ricotta make this vegetarian bake a dinner party dish. It takes a little time in roasting the squash before it goes into the bake but its worth the wait. The flavour of caraway seeds and roasted garlic squeezed from the skins is mouth watering. Serve with fresh green vegetables for an amazing main.
1 squash quartered (skin left on).
1 tsp caraway seeds.
1/2 tsp crushed dried chilli.
4 unpeeled garlic cloves.
2 tbsp. olive oil.
500g ricotta cheese.
50g grated parmesan.
Make that creamy bake:
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/gas mark 4. Place the quartered squash in a baking tray and score deeply in lines across the flesh. Drizzle the oil over and sprinkle the caraway seeds over along with the whole garlic cloves and crushed chilli. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 1/2 hours.
- When baked take the garlic cloves and place to one side. Scoop out the squash, leaving 2-3 tbsp. in a small bowl. Place the baked squash in a large bowl and add the spinach, stirring gently.
- Mash the retained squash (2-3 tbsp) in a separate bowl with the garlic cloves. Squeeze the flesh from the baked skins.
- Mix the ricotta and parmesan into the garlic and squash.
- Mix in the beaten egg.
- Transfer this mixture into the larger bowl of squash and spinach and gently mix together.
- Spoon into an oven dish and bake for 25 minutes before serving.