This is an all season dish that everyone loves in my house. Eat it cold with crisp salad or straight from the oven with veg. I'm no pastry expert but this always works for me. The trick is to bake the pie blind for 10 minutes before brushing with egg white ready for the filling. It prevents a soggy bottom and leaves a crisp tasty pastry.
The main ingredient in the pie filling is a big bag of spinach but you could substitute this for any vegetable of your choosing. Experiment and enjoy!
For the pastry
100g wholewheat flour
100g white flour
For the pie filling:
60g of hard cheese grated
1 small onion finely diced
1 clove of garlic chopped
1 courgette finely diced
1 red pepper finely diced
Make me a spinach pie
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place your flour in a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour until you reach a breadcrumb consistency.
- Gradually add around 2-3 tbsp. cold water to the mixture until it forms a dough.
- Roll out your dough and place it in a greased pie dish. Cut the edges if needed and prick the surface before baking it blind for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and brush with egg white. Leave this to dry.
- Fry your onions and garlic in a pan with a little oil until softened.
- Add the courgettes and peppers and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the spinach and squeeze out any excess water.
- Place your spinach and cooked vegetables into the bottom of the pie.
- Whisk your eggs and 2/3 of the grated cheese together and pour over the filling.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.