We love a lentil. Lentils are great protein providers coupled with vitamin B, folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium and carbohydrate. They add a robust flavour and texture to sauces and taste great layered between slices of wholemeal pasta with creamy cheese. Lentil lasagne is a family favourite in our home, that pleases everyone with only a crisp salad or peas needed on the side.
1 onion diced
1 pepper diced
2 courgettes diced
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp. of olive oil
250g of red lentils washed
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon of yeast extract
1 ball of mozzarella
Parmesan for grating on the top
8 pieces of wholemeal lasagne
Layer up that lasagne:
- Preheat your oven to 180C degrees.
Fry your diced onions, garlic and peppers in the olive oil until tender.
- Add the diced courgettes and fry for 5 minutes longer.
- Wash and rinse your lentils and add to the pan stirring into the mixture.
- Tip in your chopped tomatoes, pasatta and yeast extract.
- Add a little water, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through.
- Oil the base of a deep baking dish.
- Put a little of the lentil mixture on the base and place lasagne sheets on top to cover.
- Alternate with lentil mixture, small cubes of mozzarella scattered on top and lasagne sheets until you have used all the filling.
- Finish with a thin layer of lentil mix and grate the parmesan on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until the lasagne is cooked through and the top is crispy and brown.