Apple & nut butter breakfast buns
When I'm passing a coffee shop at 10am and haven't found the time to eat it takes a lot of willpower to stop myself from scoffing a double chocolate chip muffin. This doesn't mean you can't enjoy a sweet treat early on. Putting some fruit or veg in your buns is a great way of adding texture and flavour whilst boosting the nutritional content. Using spelt or wholegrain flour and a natural sugar gets away from the processed ingredients. Apple and nut butter buns are great mid morning with a cuppa or are a healthier pudding in children's lunch boxes.
4 tbsp. of nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew).
6 tbsp. of sugar (I used coconut sugar in mine).
1 beaten egg.
3 apples grated.
1 tsp vanilla extract.
150ml apple juice.
1 tsp baking powder.
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
200g wholegrain flour (I used spelt)
Bake me those buns:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and arrange your bun cases on a tray.
- Beat your peanut butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk in your egg, vanilla and apple juice.
- Mix in the grated apple, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Fold in the flour.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your bun cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Leave to cool before storing in an airtight container.