The problem with lots of vegan brownie recipes is the high oil content. In lieu of eggs the oil quantity is ramped up to achieve the moistness. The issue is that your brownie is often dripping in the stuff which isn't that palatable! We found that the trick is to half the quantity of oil and make up the difference with a fruit puree. Dicing a few apples and simmering with a little water is perfect. Your brownies are both perfectly moist and sweet.
250g plain flour
120g apple puree
65g cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
Raw choc chips (optional)
Who says a vegan can't eat cake:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4
- Put your flour, sugar, cacao powder and baking powder in a bowl and mix together.
- Pour in the water, oil and vanilla essence and mix together to form a smooth batter.
- Stir in your raw choc chips if using them. I made the raw chocolate and froze it before bashing into pieces. Melt 100g of Cacao butter and whisk in 60g of Cacao powder with a desert spoon of maple syrup.
- Pour your mixture into an oiled baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes intil the top is firm.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.