Sweet potato & chilli bites
Spicy, crispy and sweet. Our sweet potato and chilli bites are the perfect accompaniment to cold drinks on a summers evening with friends or make a tasty meal served with salad or vegetables.
Baking these bites will give you a sweet crust with a creamy centre. Perfect with my Mums chilli jam, search out the best you can find or mash an avocado with fresh chilli's and cream cheese.
200g of sweet potato unpeeled and chopped.
100g of chickpeas (I used the organic cartons ready to eat).
1 tbsp. olive oil.
1 small onion finely chopped.
2 garlic cloves finely chopped.
1 tsp of ground turmeric.
1 tsp of ground cumin.
1 red chilli finely chopped.
2 tbsp. of tahini or peanut butter.
Juice of a lemon.
A handful of coriander leaves chopped.
- Steam your sweet potato chunks for about 20 minutes.
- Heat your oil in a pan and gently fry the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and chilli and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C (fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
- In a blender whizz together your sweet potato, chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini or nut butter and coriander. Don't blend to a pulp, keep some texture in your mixture.
- Tip this into a big bowl and stir in your onion mix from the pan.
- Roll the mixture into even sized balls and place onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and serve with a tasty dip.