This dish is so simple and tasty. Makes a satisfying mid week dinner with a spoon of natural yogurt and sprinkle of paprika on top. Nutritious fresh spinach and tomato with protein rich chick peas you will love the flavour and texture.
The clever bit is pureeing some of the chick peas before adding them for a final 5 minutes simmer. It gives the dish a creamy texture without adding diary to the dish.
400g of organic chick peas
1/2 bag of baby spinach
6 large tomatoes chopped
1 small onion chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
1tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked chipotle flakes or dried chilli
1 tsp oregano
- Reserve 100g of the chickpeas and puree with a hand blender. Put to one side
- Fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft
- Add the whole chick peas and cumin and fry for 2 minutes
- Add the spinach, tomato, remaining seasoning and pureed chick pea. Simmer for 5 minutes (with a lid if you have one)
- Serve with a sprinkle of paprika
The Soluble fibre in chick peas may support your gut health by increasing the number of healthy bacteria whilst preventing bad bacteria growth in the microbiome..
Chickpeas are a good source of plant based protein and fibre. A low GI food they support healthy blood sugar control and energy levels.
Chickpeas have several properties that may help you control your weight. They are low in calories whilst the fibre and protein help to reduce appetite, helping you feel fuller for longer.