A hearty Christmas lunch recipe for your veggie or vegan guests. The effort doesn't reflect the outcome, as the dish is a really impressive offering with little prep. The key is to get hold of smoked tofu which is available in most supermarkets or delis. Its really flavoursome and makes a tasty pie filling. Lots of ready made pastry is vegan but check the packet before buying if you are making a vegan version of this recipe,
Delicious with roast lunch drizzled with marmite gravy and a great vegan/vegetarian Xmas lunch option.
250g chopped mushrooms.
1 small onion finely chopped.
2 garlic cloves finely chopped.
1 packet of smoked tofu.
1 cups wholemeal breadcrumbs.
1 teaspoon marmite.
1 sheet vegan puff pastry.
1/2 tsp dried chilli
We love a wellington:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Fry your onion and garlic in a little oil until soft.
- Add the mushrooms. chilli, tofu and marmite and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to your blender and bend with the breadcrumbs until a sausage filling consistency.
- Take your pastry sheet and cut it lengthways, laying one half flat on a lined baking tray.
- Cover this length evenly with the tofu mixture.
- Cut the remaining half into strips.
- Lay the strips crisscross over the top of the wellington.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for about 40 minutes until brown.