Quorn and green lentil stew with sweet vegetables is warming, bursting with nutrients and super simple to put together for an evening meal. We used chunks of quorn but you could add some veggie sausages or minced quorn it all works really well to add texture and flavour to the dish.
Green Lentils have a nutty flavour with a high nutritional content. They lower blood pressure, are good for heart health, digestive health, balances blood sugar and give a sustained energy whilst helping to keep you feeling full. They are a great source of folate, magnesium, fibre, iron and protein with no calorie adding fat.
What about the sweet veg? You should really add squash, sweet potato and carrots to your winter menu. They are an amazing immunity boost. Vitamin A found in beta carotene in these vegetables supports normal immune functioning helping to keep those colds at bay.
1 onion diced.
1 clove of garlic finely chopped.
1 small squash diced.
4-5 carrots in chunky slices.
2 sweet potatoes cubed.
1 carton of green lentils.
1 packet of quorn pieces or vegie sausages.
1 tsp marmite.
2 tins of tomato.
Create a winter warmer:
- Fry the onions and garlic in a little oil until soft.
- Add the quorn and cook until lightly brown.
- Add the vegetables and marmite and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the tomatoes and green lentils and stir well.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Bring to the boil before transferring to the oven for 40 minutes at 180°C/gas mark 4.
*You can leave on the hob to cook but remember to keep an eye on the moisture content or transfer to a slow cooker.
Serve with brown rice or crusty bread.