Blackberry Crumble Muffins
We love a good forage when the hedgerows are hiding these sweet and juicy gems. If you live in the Countryside you don't need to look far. We actually have a sprawl of blackberry bushes at the rear of Green Goddess HQ. Far from agricultural sprays and road pollution they are organic, free and full of life preserving antioxidants. The crumble topping adds a sweet indulgence to the blackberry muffins with a gooey berry centre that melts in the mouth.
* Kids loved these too. A better list of ingredients for a muffin and the added benefit of fresh apple juice and berries. My 10 year old ate 3 (a moment of weakness of my part) from the oven and called me a 'master chef. baking isn't my strong point so I was happy!
4 tbsp. olive oil.
6 tbsp. sugar (I used coconut nectar sugar in these) but any sweetener of your choosing.
1 tsp vanilla extract.
150ml apple juice.
1 tsp baking powder.
200g wholemeal flour.
3 tbsp. wholemeal flour.
2 tbsp. sugar.
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
1 tbsp. olive oil.
Bake me some blackberries:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and arrange your muffin cases on a flat tray.
- Beat your oil and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the egg, vanilla essence and apple juice.
- Mix in the baking powder and blackberries.
- Fold in the flour until well mixed and spoon into your Spoon cases (3/4 full).
- For the crumble topping mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and olive oil until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Spoon a little of the crumble mixture onto the muffins before putting in the oven.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until golden brown.